2020 - 2021 - Continuing our Journey
What will we do to support the Social/Emotional Learning of our students?
Ferris received an Innovation Grant that allowed our SEL committee to work on our inquiry questions and our goals to develop a cohesive school-wide approach to SEL at that includes common lanuage, explicit SEL instruction, connection with the parent community and measures to promote staff and student wellness. 2020/21 highlights of the work of the committee, the staff and the student population include:
- A series of professional development sessions with district teacher consultants to work on SEL instruction
- Resources purchased and distributed to support the teaching of SEL
- A coordinated effort to incorporate our Social Responsibilty HEART matrix into a broader SEL framework
- School Zoomblies focussed on HEART (e.g. Pink Shirt Day, Earth Month)
- Baseline data collected from students, staff and parents to be compared against future years
- Two Parent sessions with the district coordinator for SEL to make connections with the parent community and promote SEL education
2018-2020--Beginning of the journey
What will we do to enhance our students' learning in the area of Personl Awareness and Responsibility?
A) Continue with whole school activities with a focus on H.E.A.R.T. Our active committee of staff that make up our social responsility committee help plan activities incluidng:
Assemblies that have a HEART focus.
Providing staff with ways of making new connections with students and also providing opportunities to provide students feedback with our HEART program.
Family teams (multi age groups) are also a focus of our social responsibility committe. Family teams are a wonderful way to promote school community as it provides opportunities to make connections for both staff and students. Leadership is also a focus of family teams. In 2019 we tried something new: Recess Playdates with Staff--where all the teachers went outside to play with students for a 15 min recess.
A wide variety of Classroom Activities/Approaches/Initiavies to help develop students personal awareness and responsiblity.
Parent education/communication through newsletters/PAC Meetings/Website
What are some specific actions we are considering taking?
-using an Inquiry Question: "How can we support the growth of our students in the area of Personal Awareness and Responsiblity"--staff to explore a variety of programs, approaches, initiatives to support students.
-Leadership Convention (Gr. 6/7 Students) Sept 18th-20th 2018
What will we focus on in our professional learning to support our students' learning?
-networking group of 14 staff -- (SCERTS)= Social Communication Emotional Regulation Transactional Support (working with some of our students with special needs)
-collabortive teaching/grade groups-exploration and development of lessons, planning, approaches including but not limited to (Growth Mindset, Mindfulness & Mind-up, Superflex, Zones of REgulation, DARE, Outdoor Classroom and Learning Spaces, etc.
- Noon Hour Supervisors to use shared language and specific problem solving strategies during recess/lunch based on Ferris' expectations and school-wide values of H.E.A.R.T. and Behavior Support from our ACT lessons